The Santa Barbara Track Club’s inaugural year of providing programs for local youth, the community and elite athletes was an incredible success.
- 43 joined the SBTC Youth Track team coached by SBTC Elite athletes
- At local Track & Field meets the team had 5 top-three performances, 2 individual champions, and a Girls 4x100m Championship team.
- The Spring Track Clinic welcomed children from the Boys & Girls Club of Carpinteria and the greater Santa Barbara area to provide an opportunity to learn Track & Field skills from Olympic Champion and World Record Holder, Ashton Eaton. Additionally, this clinic featured Olympians from Canada and France.
- Over 500 have taken part in SBTC All-Comers Track & Field meets, school visits, school jog-a-thons and other sporting events.
- Barbara Nwaba earned the silver medal at the USA Championships, scoring 6,307 points in the Heptathlon, which is the 14th best mark in United States history. Barbara went on to represent Team USA at the prestigious Thorpe Cup against Germany, where she took home the gold medal and set a meet record.
- Thomas FitzSimons Jr. surprised the Decathlon field at the USA Championships earning a bronze medal with 7,645 points.
- Lindsay Schwartz won SBTC’s Sam Adams Combined Events Invitational, which featured 78 athletes from six countries. Representing the United States, Lindsay won a silver medal at the Pan American Combined Events meet in Canada.
- The SBTC women also captured the West Region USA Track & Field Championship title as they defeated over 25 teams including the historic Santa Monica Track Club.
The SBTC has also launched two new giving opportunities in addition to traditional donations – the SBTC Registry and SBTC Store. Your donations go to support our youth programs and the dreams of all our future Olympians!